How to Make a Complaint


The Ministry of Lands and Physical Planning established a complaints committee to deal with land disputes arising from land administration and management in line with the principles of good governance. To guarantee independence in the execution of the committee’s mandate, the Ministry has re-organised its composition by ensuring that officers from the technical departments – Survey, Registration, Physical Planning, Valuation, Land Administration and Land Adjudication and Settlement –  do not sit in the public complaints meetings. The members of the Complaints Committee are answerable to the Cabinet Secretary who is the appointing authority.

The committee is expected to submit periodical reports to the office of Commission on Administrative Justice (CAJ).

As part of its efforts in improving service delivery and ease of doing business, the Ministry intends to initiate independent review of land dispute resolution. We have proposed an amendment to Section 90 of the Land Registration Act, 2012 to provide for the Office of an Independent Reviewer. Once this amendment is approved by Parliament, the Cabinet Secretary will appoint an independent reviewer. The reviewer will provide a second appellate tier for clients who are dissatisfied with the decisions and resolutions of the committee.


Core Values/ Principles

  • Transparency
  • Accountability
  • Fairness
  • Accessibility
  • Responsiveness
  • Efficiency

 How to Make a Complaint

You can write or e-mail us. You can also contact our customer care officers for advice.

Get in touch with us.

  • Call us on +254(0)202718050/ 204803961
  • E-mail us on or
  • Write to Secretary, Complaints Committee, Ministry of Lands and Physical Planning, PO Box 30450, NAIROBI

Please, indicate the details of your complaint. Your concerns should be set out as clearly as possible to enable us resolve your complaint expeditiously. You should capture the following:

  • Your name and contact details
  • Relevant dates, times, and places
  • A description of your complaint/ concern/ issue
  • Details of any prior conversations, meetings or other steps you have already taken
  • Copies of any relevant documents
  • Any other piece of information you consider important.

A complaint may entail dissatisfaction/ disaffection with:

  • Our actions or inaction on a matter which we are responsible for;
  • The way you or someone else has been treated by a MoLPP officer;
  • The way in which we meet our obligations in land administration and management;
  • How we gather information for regulatory compliance, law enforcement or protective security functions; and
  • Any other matter pertaining to how we perform our duties and how we execute our powers.

Our Procedures

  • If you send a complaint to us via e-mail, we send you an acknowledgement to confirm that we have received it.
  • If you write a letter, we will acknowledge receipt of your post.
  • Your complaint will be assigned to a specific officer. This officer will liaise with relevant department in the preliminary investigation. This officer will contact you to seek further details from you if necessary.
  • We will respond to your complaint as formally as we can.
  • If we need more time to resolve your concerns, we will inform you.
  • The processes to be followed in the resolution of an issue will depend on the nature of your complaint.

 Remedial Steps

If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of the committee, you can ask us to reconsider the matter. In the event of dissatisfaction, one is required to provide sufficient detail to demonstrate the need for reconsideration.

You also have the right to raise your concerns with the office of The Commission on Administrative Justice (CAJ). The Ombudsman can consider complaints about administrative acts and decisions of state agencies. The Ombudsman will ask you if you have first tried to resolve the matter with us directly, and will also consider whether you have any other remedy available. The Ombudsman may look into the complaint and make a recommendation to us regarding the concern you have raised.


Office of Commission on Administrative Justice

Telephone: +254-20-2270000, 2303000, 2603765, 2441211, 0800221349 (Toll free)


Physical Address: 2nd Floor, West End Towers, Opposite Aga Khan High School on Waiyaki Way – Westlands

Post Office: P O Box 20414 – 00200, NAIROBI